Tuesday 29 March 2011

When Reality Attacks

The idea of this blog was not initially to just rant, but I have been doing that in a few of the posts, so this one is not going down that stream.

Reality has hit in the last few days about moving to Dubai, further down you can see my list of things to do that I hope some of you have found helpful. I had an amazing leaving party and night out with a good bunch of friends on Saturday night, more people came and made the effort than I could have asked for and it's a nice feeling to have.

In the whirlwind of sorting and moving and packing and signing and researching and reading and paying for your life changing decision to move to Dubai (or anywhere overseas) you rarely will allow yourself time to let the emotional thoughts creep in. I've certainly not let it happen until the last few days. Things are a bit calmer now and just a case of seeing out my last few days at work, packing up my room and shifting stuff home to Mum before I fly next week.

The urge to chuck things out is huge but I can't. I've found so many things that if I were to stay overseas for the rest of my life, would be wasted in the old dear's garage, but I can't throw them away. Is it because I'm hoping that one day I'll be back in the UK to live and work? Is it because I secretly haven't accepted that I'm moving yet? Do I actually deep down not want to go?

I spoke to my Dad who retired overseas and knows me as well as anyone could. He suggested that perhaps I'm adept at preparing for something that I know and understand, I know how to deal with an issue if it's small or I've had it before. Perhaps I'm all over the shop inside because I really don't know what to expect from living and working in Dubai.

Reality is attacking me this week that I'm venturing into such an unknown and I will be doing this alone. Sure family are a phone call away but it's a day travelling if I desperately wanted to get home. I think the best option is to suck it and see, but making sure I'm taking a high dose of Man-the-F**k-Up Pills between now and when I'm settled.

No comments:

Post a Comment