Thursday 24 March 2011

My move to Dubai. In one list.

For those of you, like me who have scoured the web only to find guides that relate to the classic 2.4 children situation I thought I would give my slant on things. Firstly though, to understand I am a 23 (just) year old guy with no kids, I rent a house with a mate off another friend and have a garage at Mother's to be able to store stuff, but not too much or I get an earful. I've taken the tact of selling most things, taking only what I need.

Firstly, Sell;

  • Car - Autotrader, Gumtree, Advert in car window, Facebook/Twitter link the adverts too
  • TV's - I raised best part of £400 by selling my two flatscreens; one on eBay, one to Granny
  • Surfboard - Alright, most people won't have one to sell but got me some more cash, sold on eBay
  • Bed - Through a friend on Facebook
  • Sofa - Yet to sell, will stick on eBay
  • Sell anything big, you can always buy it again unless you are planning on coming back to it in 6 months.
Addresses;
  • Bank
  • Credit Card
  • Mobile
  • Any others that need to know.
Utilities / Stuff;
  • Notify Gas - Easy.
  • Electric - Easy.
  • Mobile provider - iPhone tariff can only be dropped one level and that's it. Just keep a diary of when you need to cancel it permanently, or pay it off...
  • Council Tax - Easy peasy.
  • TV License - You initially sign up for a year but with proof you can reclaim / cancel it.
  • Car Insurance - Easy to call and say you are leaving if paying monthly like me, but they charge for cancelling and charge to end the DD instruction. Fascists.
  • LoveFILM or anything like that, don't forget to cancel them.
Things to set up;
  • Offshore bank account - I've gone with my UK bank supplier but there are plenty, just be wary of charges that are linked if you don't have £25,000+ to put in it. 
  • Make sure you let HMRC know, you want the P85, can print it online and get a guide to take you through it. Really easy, just fill out and send off. 
  • Join Airmiles clubs, Emirates Skywards and Virgin are two I've signed up for, worth doing to collect the prizes like upgrades.
  • Get an International Driving Permit (IDP), Post Office do these for £5.50 and takes 5 minutes, on their website they tell you what you need.
Packing;
  • I'm only taking clothes that I need.
  • DVD's in a wallet thing (save space)
  • Golf Clubs - Virgin and Emirates let you take a set for free, so take full advantage.

To be honest, all of the above is what I've done, the bits I'm planning to sort as soon as I can when I am in Dubai are as follows;
  • I've been told to just tell immigration that you are there for a holiday visiting friends, if you say you are moving...they will search everything you have brought. A family friend had her copy of Mamma Mia taken off her because it "wasn't suitable". Just say 'holiday' and smile.
  • Alcohol License - Believe you can pick up from a couple of supermarkets, will update when i've done it.
  • Buy a Sim Card at the airport if you aren't being given a mobile very quickly. I spent £600 on my phone in a 4 day trip last year.
  • Visa, your company will help with this but you just need a medical and then to get it processed I believe.
  • Set up a bank account
  • Rent a car? Use your IDP if needs be, some say you need it some say you don't.
  • Have a beer and chill the fudge out.

I hope this provides some use to people looking to move to Dubai who are in a similar position to me. It is quite daunting but this list is not that long. It's simple really; Sell the big stuff, move the rest to Mum's, Pack the clothes, DVD's and golf clubs that you'll need, Let a few people know and get on the plane...easy.

Fingers crossed anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment