Thursday 24 March 2011

I want to wear a dress to work.

I've worked in a few different offices, but one of the first is the office that stands out. Horrible old 70's concrete box, crap metal 'sash' windows which were mirrored to cleverly allow all heat in and none out. 

There was no air conditioning to speak of, or heating for that matter and in the UK it's nice to be kept warm or cool depending on whatever the Gulf Stream fancies doing.

Few years back, very hot summer, but I'm still expected (and secretly enjoy) to wear a suit, shirt and tie to work. No problems with that, I'll take the heat on the chin and deal with it. But why on earth do these simple rules of dress code not apply to women? The number of times colleagues (female) would come in wearing a summer dress and flip-fucking-flops was untrue. "But I still look and feel smart", no, you look like you should with a group of students playing frisbee in a park with a disposable BBQ. Now go back home and come back in something suitable.

Equal rights my arse.

No comments:

Post a Comment